It is now just on two years since I started this blog. That's pretty amazing. The last two years have been a wild ride for me. There are lots of things I would have done differently if I had known back in 2012 what I know now. (As I don't own a time machine that's just bad luck isn't it?)
I know people who regret their publishing journey and I don't feel that way. There are certainly things I regret (choices, actions and of course lack of action) but not the whole journey.
I thought I'd make this post not about the publishing but about the blogging. What have I gleaned over this time period?
1. Consistently coming up with content is hard.
2. Many more people read blogs than comment on them - you do very often feel as if you're chit chatting to your self.
3. You can lead people to your blog, you can even get them to comment but if you have something to sell (eg books in my case) that doesn't mean they will do so.
4. Lots of people who you think in the beginning will read your blog do not.
5. Having regular memes (eg Musical Monday, Writers on Wednesday) makes it easier for you to generate consistent content.
6. As a writer hosting other writers, reviews or industry people is a great way to create blog content and hopefully draw new audiences to your blog. I am sure this is true for cooking, mothering and fishing blogs as well. Be generous and welcoming to others and they will reciprocate.
7. Even though you may not think your blog impacts your business (see point 3) when you don't blog you will see a downturn in sales. (I do).
8. Don't take yourself too seriously.
9. Try and be consistent. Even if you only blog once a week do it regularly and like clockwork. (OK I don't always do this but I have learned that I should :) )
Any other bloggers out there what do you think are the key rules for success?
And for Musical Monday the lovely Norah Jones singing a song that was integral to the writing soundtrack and the story of my first novel Mr Right and Other Mongrels now celebrating it's 2nd birthday.
I am a writer of light-hearted contemporary women's fiction.
All Author Interview Blog Visit Bookcover Book Launch Chicklit #chicklitmay Conference E Publishing E-publishing Exerpt Family General Chat General Chat Giveaway Give Away Give-away Holiday Jewel Sisters Series Marketing Musical Monday New Release New Release Friday Photos Pitching Promotion Qacd92bcee57 Rwa Social Media Submissions Sydney Writers Sydney Writers' Festival Taste Of Tuesday Taste Of Tuesday Upper Crus Series Upper Crust Series Video Writers Dozen Writers On Wednesday Writing